Sunset

Sunset

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Beginning: First Tournaments

In wake of these tournaments, I found myself getting nervous. I haven't had that feeling in quite a long time. I missed it. Saturday morning I got to play in the Crowley Spring Stampede presented by Travis Avenue Baptist Church. In my opening round I was placed on a card with some solid players. I asked how long they had been playing professionally, they all said around 2-3 years... it was a bit shocking but I tried to keep my cool. All in all what I took out of the first round was that I was beating myself. I kept missing easy putts or missing my line on my drives. My nerves never seemed to calm because I wasn't hitting the shots I felt I should have made. In the second round it became a bit easier to settle in. I just wasn't catching any breaks, tons of spit outs (everyone was spitting out at Crowley). I finished my first tournament in the top division 3rd from the bottom... Not what I was hoping for but in the grand scheme of things this was all a learning process. 

The next day I got to play in the Dynamic Discs May Madness in Lewisville. LL Woods was a course I saw as easy and way to open. But the way it is played in Open made it easily one of my favorite courses to play. It asks more of you as a player. You need to play smart stay in the fairways and keep in bounds. Same things happened as they did the day before. I was missing putts and making mistakes I shouldn't have been making. As we went back to the Lake to play the second round I had already in a way checked out which was a mistake and continued to make mental mistakes. I finished the day 2nd from the bottom. 

What I was able to take out of these tournaments was plain and simple. I need to play a lot more and fine tune my strengths and eliminate my weakness's, so when I have to play on my weakness I know how to handle it and I can get myself out of trouble. 

Since then I have played easily 40-50 rounds of golf since then. I have changed my putting style from a spin to a pitch. I have worked more on my form, on the pad and in the field. I have seen an improvement, and will continue to build on it. My goal is to be able to play a round and keep myself out of trouble play bogey free and just smash every putt home without second guessing myself. In the great words of Marty Mcfly "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." That is my plan I will become a pro and play this sport at the highest level. This is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment